TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:31] java classes

erick@pagelab.net wrote:

> I was looking for some java school classes, basically on Java Database,
> JDBC, stuff. After not much investigating, I have decieded to take a 1
> month class at teh U of M, Java Client/Server Database programming. It
> is part of their Enterprise Java Developer Program. Anybody ever taken
> any of these classes? There are only about 20 students per class, which
> is good, but teh instrucor is TBA. My past classes at Inver Hills and
> the worst school in the world Brown Inst. (atleast it is now) I have
> taken were pretty bad,the instructor had never taught teh language
> before and I am hoping this new class I am taking has an experinced
> teacher.  Perry, I see you teach, are your classes more advanced stuff
> than the basics?  Can anyone lend an opinion or advice on where to take
> classes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Erick

No, the class I taught at DCTC and now in-house was for the beginning
student.  For my master's project at Univ of St. Thomas, I created what
was to become CSIS546 which is/was Distributed System Development.
However, this class covered stuff like EJB, CORBA, DCOM and distributed
system development in general.  I don't know of any school (the UofM
class was a surprise) that covers more than the basics.  Stuff like
JDBC, Servlets, Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB), Java Server Pages (JSP), etc
are usually the domain of the 1-week/$2000 training vendor courses.

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant