Re: [TCLUG:5019] anyone else noticed? what to do?

  Hi,

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Paul Hocker wrote:

> April Fools! These sites are now up and running. It was a pretty good gag!

I disagree. I think it was an awful gag.

First of all, I don't believe Slashdot should be knowingly posting fake
news items for weeks in advance just to pull off a joke. That's just wrong
for a news site, and I believe Rob's getting enough "You're a jerk for
posting old/incorrect Items" mail. This isn't going to help him.

Second, while slashdot, User Firendly and segfault were all "not saying
who it is", they were all clearly pointing at Microsoft. We all know how
many people sent Email to the people running those websites saying they
support them, god knows how much spam Microsoft got from Linux geeks
yelling at them for shutting down a comic strip. This is just the Linux
community spreading FUD around. I don't like it - I'd be glad if MS keep
their monopoly in spreading fake news.

-Yaron