Is an mp3 Player Really All That Practical?

Granted, having an mp3 player  in the car would really be handy and cut way
down on scratched cd expenses, but is it safe?

I mean, that equipmert wasn't really intended to withstand the 170 degrees
of your portable greenhouse in the summer, and I can only imagine the horror
you would bring to a a hard drive that's cooled overnight to a nice -20 when
you turn the heat full on.

Has anyone been able to make this work?  Do you need to find and plunk down
wads of cash for ruggetized components of some kind? or a portable
temperature control solution?  I dunno...

-Allie Micka