Computer turn on

Not a linux question, but ...

I have an atx motherboard and when I woke up this morning I noticed that
my computer was off (I leave it on all the time). I thought there had a
been a power surge or something (there wasn't) and that was why it was
off. I pressed the power button and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing,
no fan, no buzz. I opened up the case and see that the power button runs
to the motherboard, so the problem could be:

1) Power supply died
2) Motherboard died
3) A Card on the motherboard died (or mis-seated) causing the motherboard
to no startup for safety (?? would the motherboard do this -- ASUS P5A)
4) Something else??

What should I do? How can I find out where the problem is. (The computer
is under warrenty, but  I'd have to ship it .. so I'd rather just
ship the bad part or replace it myself.)

Also starting yesturday morning I noticed a wierd smell sorta like burning
plastic. It didn't seem to be coming from the computer, but from a few
feet out. When I opened up my computer today I noticed a milder version of
this smell (but my computer had been off for maybe 10 hours) and the smell
was gone from the room. I'm guessing that something was burning (what?)
and was causing the smell and then caused my computer to turn off (I
now know that there was no power surge or outage). Does this sound like my
power supply since my computer turned off whereas if the motherboard died,
the power supply's fan would keep going?? (I don't like this about ATX
power supplies.)

Thanks,

Ben