Re: [TCLUG:5190] keyboard maps

> Can anyone point me to a HOWTO on how to change keyboard styles?  I'd like
> to change to Dvorak, so I don't have to keep switching.

Heh, looks like there are many ways to do this (I just found a new one
or two ;-)
Try looking at the file /etc/sysconfig/keyboard.  It should look like

KEYTABLE="/usr/lib/kbd/keytables/us.map"

Just change 'us' to 'dvorak', and you should be on your way.

Also, the command 'loadkeys' should load a new keyboard map for you --
the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard loads the keymap at boot time, apparently.

As for X-Windows, I think you'll probably have to open up your
'XF86Config' file and find the 'XkbLayout' line -- change it to
"dvorak", and you should be golden.

> By the way, I've heard the arguments against Dvorak, and I like it anyway.

Well said ;-)

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.3