make menuconfig

After attending the kernel maintenance meeting today I mustered up
enough courage to attempt to compile a custom kernel. I have several
reasons for doing so. One of wich is to try and get sounds to work,
but that is an entirely different subject.

Anyhow I was going to start out by running 'make menuconfig' but that
doesn't work of course - nothing much seems to work for me.

I am running RedHat 5.1 with the 2.0.35 kernel now. I downloaded the
2.2.4 kernel and have it installed in /usr/src/linux-2.2.4 and the
kernel source rpm that came with RH51 installed at /usr/src/linux-
2.0.35 and the following link has been made: linux -> linux-2.0.35.

When I type 'make menuconfig' from the /usr/src/linux directory, here
is what I get:

mv: cannot move '.ver' to 'include/linux/version.h': No such file or
directory
make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 1

What can I do to get this running?? I did get X to run on this system
with the KDE desktop also. I don't see to have make xconfig running
on this system, nor do I know where to find an rpm to install it
with. If anyone can help me out with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike Glaser