Re: [TCLUG:5228] Setting up PPP

> ... how can I
> tell the system to STOP trying to connect until I have time to figure
> out how to properly make the connection. ...

Since you're running RedHat, I'd recommend the 'usernet' program..  Of
course, maybe that's what is causing your trouble.

The other way I know of is to use the 'ifup' and 'ifdown' commands.
They're in the /sbin directory, so you may have to type in '/sbin/ifup'
to get it to work..

> ... Besides, I don't want
> the system to make the ppp connection at boot time.

Yeah, that can be annoying ;-)

Try running 'netcfg' as root (you should also be in X-Windows..).  Click
the 'Interfaces' button on the top of the window that comes up.  Select
the 'ppp0' line (or whatever you use) -- I bet it says 'yes' in the
'atboot' column.  Click the 'Edit' button on the bottom, then click the
'Networking' button in the new window that pops up (sheesh, this is
getting as bad as Windows ;-).    The first option in that pane should
be 'Activate interface at boot time' -- uncheck that option.  Click
'Done' at the bottom of that window, then 'Save' in the other one, and
finally 'Quit'.

(sorry if I'm talking you through this too closely..  feel free to
explore ;-)

Oh yes, I just noticed another option that was buried under there --
'Restart PPP when connection fails'!  That might be a good one to turn
off..

There should also be a 'debug connection' option somewhere -- that is
useful, since it will print out the whole conversation before the PPP
connection is actually established (although the conversation actually
gets printed to the system log, so run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' while
connecting..)

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.5