Re: [TCLUG:5252] Sybase ? Anyone tried this?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Chuck Hanson wrote:

> I'm thinking of setting up the Sybase app .. has anyone experienced this?  Is it a multiuser DB, or a standalone?  And too, will ODBC calls work with it?  I plan to work on this during the week.
>
> Hoping it is not a 'demo' like so many Win things ... after all, who needs a dysfunctional relational demonstrational data base.  ;-)

go check out tally.distributed.net !  Its a huge database that uses
sybase.  nugget@distributed.net runs it.  He has said that he suggests
that sql server for anyone who wants something "production-quality".  I
havent used it (as I use mysql for some lame stuff) but from what I know
sybase is a pretty respected name in SQL circles.  Sounds like MSSQL was
built off of an old version of sybase.. then windowsified.  (whatever kind
of word that is.)

Scott Dier 		<dieman@ringworld.org>
Ringworld.Associates	efnet(#nicnac,#@,#minnesota)
612.494.6664		<page-dieman@ringworld.org>
in:linux,debian,mozilla/ngl,lanparties,highspeedbandwidth
out:modems,microsoft,ie,sleep(oops),fakeopensource
cool:gnome,postfix,imp,irssi,[gnome-]apt,procmail(!)