RE: [TCLUG:5252] Sybase ? Anyone tried this?

----SNIP----
> go check out tally.distributed.net !  Its a huge database that uses
> sybase.  nugget@distributed.net runs it.  He has said that he suggests
> that sql server for anyone who wants something
> "production-quality".  I
> havent used it (as I use mysql for some lame stuff) but from
> what I know

There's some pretty big companies that use mysql, at least according to the
mysql site. I've been playing with it on-and-off for a few weeks now as part
of my attempt to build my first Linux-based Web app (I'm a VB/ASP guy by
trade). So far, I think it's pretty cool.

> sybase is a pretty respected name in SQL circles.  Sounds
> like MSSQL was
> built off of an old version of sybase.. then windowsified.
> (whatever kind
> of word that is.)

Yup, you're absolutely right. Microsoft originally contracted with Sybase to
port their DBMS to the NT/Intel platform. They were co-developed for a
while, but as I understand it they had some "differences" (A-hem. Microsoft
and another company have differences? NAH!) and went their separate ways. In
the fall-out, MS retained the rights to the Intel version of Sybase
SQLServer, and Sybase had to restart the port from scratch (they have an NT
version, right?). Since then, MS has used it's deep pockets to basically
out-accelerate and out-market Sybase. Too bad, really.

The Sybase you can get for free for Linux is a fully-functional, multi-user
version. It is ODBC-compliant, as well. Though it's a couple revs behind the
commercial version, who cares? It should still be a good product. I
installed it once but never really got the opportunity to use it before my
hard drive died. I went with MySQL simply because I wanted to focus on
learning the Web server stuff (I've been playing with JServ for Apache,
'cause I want to learn Java) and MySQL is easier to setup and administer,
and has lower hardware requirements.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Neal