Re: [TCLUG:5285] NTS4 vs. Linux study from Mindcraft.

Pretty linux-hugger thread going here :-)

I'll speak from someone who runs both platforms on similar machines.

First, speed is important. We all want fast, faster is better, right? As an
ISP we are always looking for faster.

Second, everyone like cheaper. I don't think I need to comment on this one.

Real Time runs both Linux/Apache Solaris/Apache and NT/IIS. So, I have a
pretty good feel for all the platforms.

To me STABILITY and RELIABILITY are far more important then speed. NT/IIS
sucks for stability/reliability. Last month I made the recommendation to
terminate the NT web service we provide. Because I was getting sick of the
pages at 2am saying the service was down. We still offer the service, but
someone else admins the boxes :-)

We run mostly Solaris/Apache, which is rock solid. Unforunately Sparc hardware
is "expensive" when you look at intel hardware. So, Real Time is slowly
migrating all our UNIX web serivce to Linux/Apache.

So, MS can market the speed of IIS, but where is the stabilty survey?

I ask you, would you rather have the fastest web-server on the 'net or the
most stable?

Quoting pani@frontiernet.net (pani@frontiernet.net):