RE: Re: [TCLUG:5340] Communicator 4.0 vs. 4.5

i have been running netscape 4.07 for the last year or so since it came out.  i have
almost never had a problem with it.  when ie 5 came out i decided i might as well
as go ahead and upgrade to 4.51, since then it has crashed 2-3 times but when it
dies it comes up with somekinda "bug report" form that fires off an email discribing
the error and submits it to ??( mozilla.org maybe).  anyway this seems like a good
idea, sending the error report to the dev. team.but it is stable, the crashes were
due more to having to many things running at once on this winbloze box than there
was a problem with the netscape( btw, ie 5 is huge, n4.5 is big but no where as
big as the kludged m$ app, imho).
there's my 2 cents to this thread...

-----------------
Original Text from ""<tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com>

>Brady Hegberg wrote:
>>
>> I recently switched from 4.07 to 4.51 so I could use the email.  I have had
>> 4.51 crash 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason in the last month. This
>> didn't happen with 4.07.
>
>How long do you usually leave it up?  Do you restart it every day
>or two, or does it go for a week straight?  Which distribution
>are you using?  RH5.2?  RPM's or tarballs?
>
>>  Not as bad as the problems I've had on the
>> windows side though.  (I just got a Creative Voodoo Banshee card and my
>> computer now freezes whenever I pull up Slashdot under Navigator - only
>> Slashdot, no other page causes a crash.)  All in all 4.51 is pretty nice if
>> you've got the RAM to feed it.
>
>Yep, I run 4.50 at work on NT, and I can leave it up for days and
>days with no problems.  It was much worse in Win95.  Every time I
>sent a mail (but only in one of my account profiles), 4.5 would
>crash violently; the deadly blue screen would then pop up every
>few minutes even after shutting Netscape down (complaining about
>ifsmgr), forcing a reboot.  That prompted me to move that email
>account (this one) to my Linux box, in spite of having to deal
>with 4.0.  What a great feeling it was to be able to send mail
>from home again!  (c:
>
>Anyway, it sounds like 4.51 is fairly reliable, so I'll probably
>go ahead and upgrade to it.
>
>Thanks,
>John

Chad Farley
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/cwfarley
http://www.imagineradio.com/mymusiclisten.asp?name=cwf95j
SMILE--IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER AND MAKES OTHERS WONDER WHAT YOU'RE THINKING….