Re: [TCLUG:5368] Samba time-outs

1. Can you see which process is using it when it says that the
   device is busy ?  You can use something like lsof.  From what
   you say it looks like it must be the "smbd"

2. If you can try replicating the same thing while you access
   the drive from a remote samba machine instead of the explorer
   on Win95. Or try disconnecting the win95 machine from the
   network and then unmount.

3. You could try to make smbd start from inetd. There are
   instructions on the man smbd pages on how to do this. This
   should start up smbd only when there is a connection.

4. Use the smbstatus program to see if the connection is still
   lying around  after you get out of win95.

This might give you some clues as to what is not happening :-).

HTH,
sandipan