Re: [TCLUG:5393] cirrus logic GD5465

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Rick Hendrickson wrote:

> Using x86config, I can't
> get the monitor to display more than 256 colors even though it is capable of
> 32bit color at 600x800res. Is there a way to force the config to use more
> colors.  I would also like to eliminate the virtual desktop (just an old
> windows habit) effect.

You might try one of the other X configuration tools that are available.
You didn't say which distro you're using, but I've had reasonable good
luck with the stock RedHat one, Xconfigurator. Also, you might try
XF86Setup which requires the VGA16 X server to be installed. So make sure
that's on your system before you bother running it. You can get rid of the
virtual desktop by editing your XF86Config file. You'll find a copy in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config. Go down to the screen setion (toward the
end) and make the "Virtual" numbers the same as the "Modes." Here's a
cut-n-paste from mine:

--snip--
# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# The Colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "ViRGE"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1024 768
    EndSubsection
EndSection
--snip--

Good luck.

-Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your