RE: [TCLUG:5493] Hard Drive Addition [corrections]

>Once this is done, you'll have new, presumably larger /home and /usr
>partitions ready to go.  When you're satisfied that everything is still
>working correctly (I'd give it at least a day or two, but I'm paranoid.),
>you can clear out your *old* /usr and /home partitions and reuse the space
>as /var or /usr/lib or something, or else use Partition Magic or somesuch
>utility to delete the partitions and extend some other partition into the
>unused space.

Er, I forgot that your stuff is already all on one big partition -- this
changes a few things --

- You'll have to *add* lines to /etc/fstab.  They'll look something like:

/dev/hda1               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda2               /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2

(Leave this all as-is, except use the relevant partitions in place of
/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2)

- Don't use "mount -o remount".  Just a plain old "mount" should suffice.

- When you mount your new filesystems on /usr and /home, the old contents of
those directories will *still exist*, but will be invisible and inaccessible
until those filesystems are unmounted again.  You should probably leave that
stuff there until you're certain that everything is as it should be on the
new HD, then unmount /home and /usr and clear the directories to reclaim all
that space.  Alternately, you could move the contents to some temporary
directory ("mv /home /oldhome") and make new, empty /home and /usr
directories.