RedHat 6.0

Well, I upgraded to RedHat 6.0 a few hours ago (after downloading for something
like 36 hours straight ;-)  It seems to be a pretty nice setup (although I think
I'd recommend re-installing, rather than upgrading..)

When you start up, probably the first thing you'll notice is that the various
init scripts use ANSI colors to indicate whether they ran successfully or not.
'OK' in green, 'FAILED' in red, plus some others.

It appears that the default for window manager and desktop environment is
Enlightenment/Gnome (although I could be wrong -- my configuration might be
screwing something up)   Hopefully they're smart enough to default to fvwm on
old 486s ;-)

If you go to runlevel 5 (graphical X login), the display manager defaults to
gdm.  It allows you to choose your desktop environment when logging in (FVWM,
Anotherlevel, KDE, Gnome, and Window Maker, I think..)

Linuxconf appears to have more control over the system.  New (to me) options for
Sendmail, DNS, and Apache..

The name of 6.0 is weird, though.  If I remember right, 5.1 was Manhattan, and
5.2 was Apollo.  6.0 is named 'Hedwig' --  Maybe I just don't get the
reference..

Oh yeah -- mpg123 and x11amp are included, for all those audiophiles out there.
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.5