tcp-wrappers and security

Is there a security difference between uncommenting services in
/etc/inetd.conf, filtering them with ipchains, and dening them via
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny? The reason I ask is that I want to
run some unsecurish services to a few trusted hosts, but not everywhere.
I've tried using ipchains to deny telnet service to all ip's but some, but
then I can't telnet outside to other servers, so I'm using
/etc/hosts.allow.

Am I right that short of a firewall, I can't have ipchains block all
incoming telnet requests from certain sites without blocking outgoing
telnets from my computer to these sites?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."  -- Mao Tse-tung