Re: [TCLUG:5649] tcp-wrappers and security

> Is there a security difference between uncommenting services in
> /etc/inetd.conf, filtering them with ipchains, and dening them via
> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny?
[snip]
> Am I right that short of a firewall, I can't have ipchains block all
> incoming telnet requests from certain sites without blocking outgoing
> telnets from my computer to these sites?

Blargh..

I think I may have given out some wacky info earlier..  I'm not quite sure,
though.  (My knowledge of ipchains is probably not as good as I thought it was)

I know that there is a site Out There Somewhere(tm) on the Internet that has a
ton of info on IP masquerading and so forth -- there's probably a good deal of
info on how to run ipchains and/or ipfwadm.

Looking through the mailing list archives, it appears that there used to be a
site -- http://ipmasq.home.ml.org -- but the domain has disappeared (is ml.org
still around??)

anyway..
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.5