RE: [TCLUG:5685] TCP/IP or Socket

yes.. socket programing is used to create TCP/IP socket connections.  this is
the same across all platforms.. windows, or unix.  you are trying to do a
fairly complex operation, with very little knowlage of programing, from what I
can tell, you may want to look at talking to your database vendor on how the
best way to go about doing database proxies.  also read the net-howto on
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO