Re: [TCLUG:7261] Assistance

Hi,

I've been on vacation, hence the dated reply on this thread.

>Have been running Linux (Redhat 5.2) successfully for 8 mos, but haven't
>had to delve much into installing software.  I've got a program (gnucash
>or xacc) that I'd like to get up and running, but am getting lost in the
>cans of worms -- to install it you need gnome libraries, and then you
>need to upgrade something else, and then you can't get a binary but only
>a source to compile, and then ./configure tells you it wants to see
>other things.

It would seem that you're interested in trying out some financial software. I've
dabbled with xacc, and I'd strongly recommend scrapping it in favor of
Moneydance. You'll need the JDK, which you can get from http://www.blackdown.org
and then you'll need to visit http://seanreilly.com/java/moneydance/

A little slow (thanks to Java) on my K5-PR166 w/ only 32 megs of RAM, but there
are very fewer people anymore with primary machines as slow as mine. :) I am
very impressed by this program. Version 2.0.3 was just released a few days ago,
so it's actively being improved.

The installation is also fairly straightforward.

Cheers,
Joel

Joel A. Koepp			School: University of Minnesota
77 Bedford St. SE, Apt. 2	Email:	jkoepp@gustavus.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3553	Web:	http://www.gustavus.edu/~jkoepp
Tel. 612.378.4812		Work:	Hennepin County Environ. Services