Re: [TCLUG:7343] JetDirect servers

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Does anyone have experience with HP's JetDirect print servers (int. or
> ext.)? Will these work with Linux print clients as easily as Win9x
> clients? How do you configure them? I'm looking for a bit of background
> info.

As of about a year ago, HP's JetDirect print servers did not correctly
support the BSD lpr, or at least the variant that came along with Linux.  I
haven't been doing a lot of experimentation since, but if you want to take
advantage of all of the features of the JetDirect, I'd recommend spooling
through a Sun, an HP, or *ack* NT with the JetDirect drivers.

It's supposed to work, and maybe the bugs have been ironed out, but it was
supposed to work two years ago, and didn't.

Jer Smith