Re: [TCLUG:7428] Tape backup headaches

On  9 Aug, Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm trying to set up my tape backup system at school. I'm finding that I
> probably should have spent more money to get a DAT-based system because I
> haven't had much luck yet.
>
> I bought a Seagate TapeStor 4 GB SCSI drive. It uses TR-4 tapes. I tried
> Arkeia, but it doesn't support that drive. Using 'taper' produces a
> segfault while attempting to write the archive to the tape. I'm guessing a
> generic 'tar' would do the trick, but does anyone know of a more
> user-friendly approach that might work on this system?

Try KBackup.  You might have to turn off the double buffering, I've had
real problems with that, but otherwise it works pretty good.  I've got
a Seagate Drive, but uses QIC-3080 wide tapes.  All the tape software
I've used, including taper, just recognizes it as a SCSI tape drive and
is happy.
--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe