RE: [TCLUG:7442] CD problem

--

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:53:11   ^chewie wrote:
>I looked at the man page for mount for the exact syntax of the
>command.  It may not matter, but I believe you should specify the
>device AFTER you specify your options.
>
>	mount [options] {device} {drive}
>
>So, you'd have...
>
>	mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
>
>Notice...
>
>	mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc/ /mnt/cdrom
>
>...will not work.  There's some syntax problem with including the
>slash at the end of the device name.
>
>If this doesn't work, try a different CD.  Make sure you're trying
>this as root.  You can add user mount capabilities later in the fstab
>(man fstab).
>
>If that doesn't work, I'd have no idea what's going on.  You may want
>to recompile the kernel to a newer version just to be on the safe
>side.

It ended up being the CD player.  The CD player used to install RH6.0 a couple of months ago was not the same as the one in it now.  I reinstalled RH6.0 and now mounts works fine.  Why, I don't know!  They both support the ATAPI interface and I would think between the ATAPI interface and the BIOS, any differences in the drive would have been shielded from RH.  Go figure!

Thanks for everything.