Re: [TCLUG:7498] Sparc 2's as X terminals

> hi,
> I noticed this on the mn.forsale newsgroup. Are these any good
> as X terminals, running from a linux server ?

A Sparc 2 is _really_ slow.  For most things, I'd put them at about the
386 range.  The video on Sun hardware prior to the Ultra Series was
basically pathetic--expect to watch the screen repaint while you sit and
wait.  You could probably fit Linux or a very tapered down version of
Solaris on there just to run the X server, but you would not be much worse
of with something like an actual X terminal if that's what you're really
trying to accomplish.

If you had a specific need for them, 125 dollars isn't that much...but I
would not consider them a good deal on anticipation you'll ever want to
sit in front of them for any period of time.

X performance on my Sparc 10 with 64 megs is comparable to my Pentium 75
with 80.  A Sparc 2 is two classes down from that.

Jer