RE: [TCLUG:7513] MediaOne Cable Modems

>Does anyone in this group have cable modem access from Media One?  If so,
>could you direct me to some literature on how to get it up and running (I
>have already read the mini-howto but would like some additional info).
Also,
>is there anything specific I should request when ordering (e.g. external or
>internal modem).

Get the external.  Tell them you're using NT if they don't like hearing
Linux.  I don't know what the driver situation with the internals is.

Once you get it set up its all controlled from a web page, so it's pretty
easy to configure.  The cable modem does some sort of address translation
and it works pretty well, once it's up.  The problem is that they
oversubscribed their upstream modems way too much, and you get busy signals
all the time.

You can run one machine no problem, but there's a little bit of difficulty
setting up ip masquerading, I've heard.  It would probably work with some
effort.  The people I know just set up the one connected machine as a
proxy/firewall for the others.

I don't have the service but others I know do.  I can get more info if you
decide to get it.

Jer