RE: [TCLUG:7513] MediaOne Cable Modems

I have it.  Also, I'm co-maintainer of the SURFboard 1000 Linux driver
reference guide.  Check it out at http://linuxpower.cx/~cable/ if you
haven't already.  This is for the internal cable modem (SB1000) from
MediaOne.

The sb1000 module is included in the 2.2.11 kernel (yay!) but does NOT
currently work with that kernel (boo!), so stay away from that kernel if you
get the internal modem.  Alan Cox is aware of the situation and has just
submitted a fix for the 2.2.12pre1 kernel.

The external modem (model SB1200), like Jeremy said, is set up like a
gateway.  It has IP address 192.168.100.1, so you'll want to set your Linux
PC up as 192.168.100.2 and set your default route to point to the cable
modem.  The SB1200 uses DHCP to get a legal IP from MediaOne, then routes it
to your PC.  You use Netscape or IE to browse the built-in web page on the
cable modem and trigger the dial-up.  Lynx does not trigger it for some
reason.

IP masquerading works fine with the internal modem.  Set it up exactly as
you would for a PPP session.  I cannot vouch for the external one.

Be prepared for cluelessness when the tech arrives on-site.  My tech was
fine, but others have had a horrible time.  You may want to have Windows 95
up and running on the PC (or even a different PC), then switch to Linux
after he/she leaves.

MediaOne has crappy dial-ups and I'd honestly go with xDSL if it were
available at my apartment.  Unfortunately, it's not.

--
Carl Patten