RE: [TCLUG:7538] printing (lpr/lpd?) problems

>Is the JetDirect card internal or external?
        Internal.

>  What happens when you try to
>print a text file from the command line (i.e. lpr -P hp4v test.txt) in
>scoansi or vt100 emulation?  Is the printer set up in /etc/printcap?
        works fine. i can print any text file from the command line, no problem.
        (it craps out on postscript; but i attribute that to printtool
configuring problems.)

>Ok, is there anywhere in OSAS that you can look to see if it is using two
>different methods of printing, one for screen captures and one for regular
>reports?
        I've gone through the stuff myself; and all the consultants and tech
support people say that they both use the same printing method.

>Take good notes of what works and what doesn't.  See if you can reproduce it
>working under vt100.  I wonder if it's using terminal pass-through printing,
>where the print job goes through the terminal emulator to your default
>client printer (assuming you're using Windows clients).  That's the only way
>of printing I can think of that depends on your terminal emulation.
        well, nothing unusual shows on the screen when the reports print.
that's all I know.

><RANT> The whole ANSI vs. SCO ANSI issue makes me wince.  Why why why?
></RANT>
        "embrace and extend"? ;>

>If you hook a printer to the parallel port on your server, and use ">
>/dev/lp1'" does it print normally?
        yep. tried that. works fine.

>  How about "| lpr -P hp4v" ?  Note that
>I'm using a pipe ("|") instead of a re-direct (">") to pass it to the lpr
>daemon.
        didn't try the pipe. I'm still new enough to UNIX that I don't fully
understand the difference between them.

>It'll help as printtool has been improved with every RH version.  Try
>upgrading, then delete and re-create the hp4v using printtool.  I just
>upgraded my box at home from 5.2 to 6.0 with zero breakage.
        I better do a backup first. :) will give it a try tho. (actually, i
should try it out on my webserver first; if anything breaks there it's not
much of a loss since it's all backed up & easily replaced).

thanks,
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN