XF86 issues.

Hey all, I'm new to the list as well.
I have an X problem that is stumping me beyond belief.

It's a clean Slackware 4.0, 2.2.6 kernel install on a Compaq Deskpro 5133,
and I've been trying to configure X.

Essentially, no matter what I do, I end up getting a whitish screen, and
that's all. XF86Setup gives me the same, as well. I've had to use
xf86config.
The hard part is that I don't know what video card is in the machine - it's
either a Cirrus Logic chip or an S3 GX/Virge, this model has the possibility
of either onboard, according to Compaq. I've physically tried to get a look
at the chipset, but I can't get past a metal plate sitting over it in the
case (yaaaay Compaq). I can't check it in the bios because some idiot put a
password on the bios after disabling the onboard nic. I can't short the bios
because -- you guessed it, I can't get past that metal plate.

I've repeatedly run the VGA16 server and the mono vga server to no avail. It
shouldn't be the monitor, I checked that earlier. The -probeonly function
does return my timings.

Any ideas?

 <<...>>
Carlson Companies, Inc.