Re: [TCLUG:7666] Multias and such

Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Robert Sinland wrote:
>

> > Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:
> >
> >   Well PIA is thier anacronim for "personal internet appliance"
> >
> >   Check out ...
> > http://www.thelinuxstore.com/
> >

> >  Essentialy it is...  (cut and paste to follow)
> >
> > What are the Specifications?
> >
> >  The PIA utilizes Linux, an established open-source,
> >  reliable, and efficient operating system. The system
> >  includes:
> >
> >       Intel Celeron 333 MHz processor
> >       32MB PC100 SDRAM
> >       2 GB (or larger) Hard Drive
> >       8 MB AGP Shared Memory Video
> >       16 Bit Sound
> >       56K Data/Fax Modem
> >       Speakers
> >       Keyboard
> >       3-Button Mouse
> >       One additional PCI/ISA open expansion slot
> >       Custom PIA ATX mini-tower cabinet
> >       Monitor is not included
> >
> > For $200 how could you go wrong?  Unless it's in a cardboard case or
> > something that is :)
> > I for one don't see how they can be making a dime on this one...
> > That is if it lives up to specs...
> > RS
> >

> WOW! How can they do that?! That is IMPRESSIVE. Let me know how it turns
> out! I want like, 10 of them. Can you say, Beowulf?  :)

  You must note the absense of a floppy drive and CD-ROM drive...
If you want that you have to order the PIA Plus, which also should include a
NIC.
Price on that one isn't firmed up yet, but they estimate about $300

Like I said before, I don't know how they can turn a profit on this one, but
if we win, I guess that's what count's!
RS