Re: [TCLUG:7688] partition magic II

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, ted pedersen wrote:

> My particular situation is that I'll be getting a machine with Windows
> 98 already installed. I do need to have Windows available, but I  plan
> to install Red Hat so I can have a dual boot machine.

In a pinch, you can use Linux' fdisk to shrink the Win98 partition.

1. Defragment the disk.
2. Run Linux fdisk (as part of an install, for example).
	Make the first partition bigger than the total amount of data
	already on the disk under Windows.
	Make new partitions after that point.

I've never actually done this myself, but I hear it works...

> I'm also considering doing some experimenting with Minix in the future
> so I might want to also install that. Which leads to another question --
> is there any reason why I couldn't have a "tri-boot" machine -- I've
> heard quite a bit about dual boot but not much  about more than that...)

No reason why not. Read the LILO man page and the LILO HOWTO. You can get
pretty creative.

> Thanks for the previous replies to my original question. It seems like
> a consensus is emerging that Partition Magic may not be necessary but
> that it certainly won't hurt and that it might even be nice... (fair
> summary?)

Yeah that sounds about right. :)

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerFireWorks.com/