Re: [TCLUG:7810] OK, I'm an idiot.

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Trainor, Kevin T. wrote:

> Finally got OpenLinux installed and working (and weirdly enough, Win95
> appears to be working better as well)

Congrats! :)

> but I'm thinking that I need to learn more about Linux since I'm having
> trouble getting some of the simple things (like mounting the CD
> drive so that I can load WordPerfect and Netscape) done.

Sure. Read 'man mount'. Here's a quick answer:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

That won't make any sense until you read the manual page, though. Be sure
/mnt/cdrom exists. Caldera OL may use /cdrom, iirc. (The mount point is
arbitrary.)

In general, 'man -k <some keyword>' will point you to which manual pages
to read, and then reading the manual page(s) will get you where you want
to be.

> Would y'all care to suggest a good primer? I'm leaning toward ORA's
> Linux in a Nutshell, but if there's something out there better than
> Linux for Dummies I'd appreciate the pointer.

*Linux in a Nutshell* is good, but is basically a summation of the manual
pages. It saved my ass more than a couple times, I can tell you that much.
:)

Also good are *Running Linux* also from ORA, and *Unix for the Impatient*
(Addison/Wesley). I have and no longer need a copy of each of these; if
you want 'em for real cheap, lemme know.

> Also, when OL 2.2 shuts down, I get a really weird multicolor display on
> my monitor that reminds me of a C64 screen run amok. Is this normal?

Are you running X? What video card? Does it go away?

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerFireWorks.com/