Netscape problems

Hello

My problem with Netscape is as follows. When I first installed Mandrake 6.0
and configure the IP and the DNS server ect. Netscape works. I can cruise
the web, with no problems. As soon as I close the browser and then reopen
it, I get the following error message.

A network error occurred:
Unable to connect to server (TCP Error: Network is unreachable)
The server may be down or unreachable.

If I do a complete reinstall of the OS, Netscape will work the first time it
is opened but will not work once it is closed and then reopened.

I have no problem pinging anything on our WAN or LAN and can ping my Linux
box from a Windows box.

I am running Netscape 4.51 with a 3Com 10/100 Nic using a static IP address.