Re: [TCLUG:7902] Compiling Kernel Help

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 cmoewes@pobox.com wrote:

> So I looked to see where make modules_install put the files and they went into
> /lib/modules/2.2.5-15 which is where the kernel how to said they should go. So I thought
> maybe there needs to be one with the same name as the kernel I made so cp-r 2.2.5-15
> 2.2.5-15mine and reboot, same thing.

Well, I think I know what was wrong. Whenever you build a rebuild a
kernel, you may run into trouble with your new modules conflicting with
modules from the previous kernel.

I've made it a habit to rename the old modules directory when I rebuild a
kernel. So I would do:

# mv /lib/modules/2.2.5-15 /lib/modules/2.2.5-15-old

Then your new modules will be in /lib/modules/2.2.5-15 and any old ones
won't. Everything else you did was right on the money.

(I'm typing fast because I just saw a message from Palmer, and he's
probably typing a response to this as I type. It's a race! :-)

Good luck.

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/