Compiling Kernel Help

Hello,

I am at my wits end and hope that some can offer me a little guidance in compiling my
kernel and getting it up and running. Here is what I have done.

1. make mrproper
2. make xconfig. i choose the things I needed, scsi support for my zip drive, parallel
support, ppp compiled into the kernel, removed everything not essential (BTW kernel
version linux-2.2.5-15)
3. make bzImage (was too mig for zImage)
4. make modules
5. make modules_install

all of the compiling so far went with no errors

6. cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15mine (this is the name of the
kernelsfrom the original installation plau 'mine' to identify it)
7. added the following to lilo.conf

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15mine
  label = mylinux
  root = /dev/hda7
8. lilo
9. shutdown now -r

now here is whee things go wrong (assuming I haven't made a horrid blunder above)

After the reboot, i select mylinux from the lilo menu and the kernel uncompresses and
starts loading. It sees the harddrive, and low and behold the zip drive spins up , sees
the eternet card mounts the filesystem in readonly and then "find module dependencies"
and nothing. It hangs. Just sits there. I even let it sit all night (wishing. hoping)

I just don't know what I might have done wrong. Now I looked in /lib/modules and saw
that there were 3 directories in the , one for each of the kernels that was on my system
when I started this whole thing

drwxr-xr-x  11 root     root         1024 Aug 25 22:55 2.2.5-15
drwxr-xr-x  11 root     root         1024 Aug 18 07:21 2.2.5-15BOOT
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     root         1024 Aug 18 07:21 2.2.5-15smp

So I looked to see where make modules_install put the files and they went into
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15 which is where the kernel how to said they should go. So I thought
maybe there needs to be one with the same name as the kernel I made so cp-r 2.2.5-15
2.2.5-15mine and reboot, same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated. I know there are probably a lot f things that it
could be but I just can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Chris
cmoewes@pobox.com