Re: [TCLUG:7915] Linux Not-So-Newbie Problems

> - Is routing this tough?  I can ping the gateway on both sides, but
> neither subnet can reach the other. Help needed...

There are a few ways to rig this.  First of all you need to have the
appropriate ipchains/ipfwadm (depending on kernel) forwarding instructions
*for only the ip's that you admin* (i *CANT* stress that more). (ex, with
ipchains you need to have the forward chains with a dest of ACCEPT)

Then, you need to worry about how to tell the gateway that you communicate
with or whatever is on the other side of the firewall/gateway that you are
taking care of these hosts.  Options are (depending on your setup) RIP,
ProxyARP, BGP.. Probally not BGP.  RIP would be nice. but not everywhere
lets you do that.  ProxyArp is nice for just a few hosts (less than
five.).  Perferred is to do RIP i believe.  I haven't actually done this
with RIP, but with ProxyARP.

Hope this helps.

Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org>
Ringworld Associates ( http://www.ringworld.org/ )