lpr/lpd/OSAS problems continued...

        ok, I tried editing a file that was stuck in the live spool; and
indeed, by removing the ^L character at the end, it will print (tho I had to
restart the print queue to get it out). however, there were several other
entries in the print spool, with the same ID#, of 0 size, that didn't empty
out of the spool (at least as far as I could tell, w/out waiting on it for a
long while). so I dequeued them, and now the spool seems fine.

how would I write a sed script to chop off the  ^L character (if it exists)
at the end of a file, then send the file to lpr? (haven't had much luck
making heads or tails of the sed man page)
(yes I know perl/awk/python will do it too; but isn't sed the
smallest/fastest one?)

then how do I invoke the sed script? instead of '> lpr -P hp4v 2>/dev/null',
would i use '>sed script.sed 2>/dev/null'?

thanks!
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN