2.2.12 and NFS help, please

I downloaded the 2.2.12 kernel last night/this morning. I used "make
menuconfig" which didn't work until I installed ncurses-devel and made a
configuration. I built the kernel, to the hard drive and to floppy. I
edited lilo.conf so I had the new kernel "linux" and the old one "backup"
and that all works. But...

The 2.2.12 kernel itself doesn't work too well. First off, the kernel
HOWTO doesn't talk about how to really get the whole thing to work with
Red Hat and their System.map. I've got that working now.

The problem I'm left with is that nfssvc (I think) doesn't work, and this
disables NFS. Now, I don't really *need* NFS, but I want to understand
what's going on before I give up.

Any ideas?

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
  - Jimmy James, News Radio