RE: [TCLUG:7538] printing (CR->CR/LF!) problems

        ok, I tried to reverse-engineer the problematic print filter; the
only thing I need it to do is translate CR->CR/LF. this seems to be what the
following line is intended to do:
#!/bin/bash
sed -e 's/$/'`echo -ne '\r'`'/g'
exit 0
        this is my *entire* print filter right now; and the report refuses
to print through it.
        without this filter, the report goes through; but of course, steps
off the page...
        the 'exit 0' line seems to be needed; without it, single-page
reports still won't print; but multi-page reports give me a red 'form feed'
light on the printer itself (an HP4V).

now here's another interesting bit:
I think the 'JetDirect lpd: no entries' is a response from the printer
itself. as you can see, when the spool is first sending the file to the
printer, it responds back OK. however, a moment later, lpq tells me that the
connection to the printer is down

[root@office /tmp]# lpq -P osas
JetDirect lpd: no entries
[root@office /tmp]# lpr -P osas head.rpt
[root@office /tmp]# lpq -P osas
office.mndhia.org: sending to 198.168.99.200
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       11   head.rpt                              2700 bytes

JetDirect lpd: no entries
[root@office /tmp]# lpq -P osas
office.mndhia.org: sending to 198.168.99.200
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       11   head.rpt                              2700 bytes
0 bytes

connection to 198.168.99.200 is down
[root@office /tmp]# lpq -P osas
office.mndhia.org: sending to 198.168.99.200
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       11   head.rpt                              2700 bytes
0 bytes

connection to 198.168.99.200 is down

so does this mean that the printer starts recieving the file, and then
chokes on it? or does lpr start sending the file, then choke on it?

is everyone tired of me asking all these questions yet? ;>

and with that, I leave you for the weekend...

<shameless plug>
I'm working at MacGregor Games at the Rennaisance Festival this weekend.
(not far from the jousting track, by the reptile exhibit). stop by, say
hello, play some medeval board games. :)
</shameless plug>

Carl Soderstrom.
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN