ftp and permissions

I'm going to host websites for a few friends and would like them to be able
to update their sites via FTP.  I've installed wu-ftpd on my RH 6.0 box and
it is running quite well.

I've noticed, however, that when I log in as myself I have access to pretty
much everything!  It seems most of the directories have permissions of 755,
which would not only allow visitors to read other folders, but start
executing commands...  That *can't* be a good thing!

Am I wrong to be concerned?  And, if not, what can I do about this?  It
seems there must be a better way then running 'chmod 750' on every file in
the system. (Yes, I know that would be a bad idea, anyway...  But I'm just
so proud of myself for remembering the command syntax that I *had* to stick
it in there!)

Gracias,
Ben
The phrasing, style, and content of this message are the sole property of
Ben Beuchler, Inc. and may not be reproduced in any way, shape or form
without the written consent Ben Beuchler Enterprises.  All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited by law.  Do not remove under penalty of law.  Do not
spindle or fold.  Not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.