no detect NIC - 6.1 install

I am trying to install 6.1 (Mandrake) and a particulat platform is being
stubborn - refuses to see the 3c509 NIC. The install skips right over it,
never mentions network configuration. (I did two successful installs on
essentially identical hardware Monday.)

I configured it at 0x300/Int 5, which has worked for me in the past. Int 5
is marked in the BIOS as Legacy/ISA.

There's no entry in /proc/interrupts for int 5, nor 0x300 in /proc/ioports.
Tried several other 3c509s configured the same way, different slots, etc,
but I can't seem to get it to show up.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Phil Plumbo
Printware