Re: [TCLUG:10672] diald question

Schlough, Mark said:
> Every time I bring the machine up, diald dials out.  I can't figure out what
> it is that brings up the connection.  Is there a way to determine what is
> bringing up the connection?

Although I can't tell you what's bringing it up, I can offer a solution...

Start diald at the end of the boot process.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do that on Red Hat, either.  I use
Debian, which, from what I've overheard here and there, controls the startup
sequence differently than Red Hat.  But the way I dealt with this same
problem on my system was to go into /etc/rc2.d (Debian defaults to run level
2) and mv S20diald to S98diald, making it the last thing to start up before
wdm.  Since diald wasn't running when the mystery daemon wanted to go out on
the net, the attempt failed immediately and the boot process continued
uninterrupted.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+