RE: Computer prices and compact flashes.

Callum Lerwick wrote:
>> theirs) and this is exactly right. I wound up getting a Linux-compliant
>> 366 tower with a very decent 14" monitor for about $60 shipping and
>> handling, after I knock off $475 for the Compuserve and eMachines
>> rebates. Maybe I could have built my own box for less, but I rather
>For $60? Not bloody likely. Impressive...
	Well, OK, make it $132 if you add in the extra $2/month I'm
shelling out for Compuserve over what I was paying AT&T Worldnet.

	As far as the reliability of the eMachines in general, I've
only had mine for a little over a month so I can't really speak
from my own experience. I do know several other folks who own
various other eBoxen, however, and they seem pretty happy with
theirs.

Eric Gjerde asked:
>Have any of you using digital cameras tried using a PCMCIA converter
>card that lets you use a compactflash card as more or less an
>ATA-compliant device? I used that when I got my Kodak dc215, and when i
>picked up a 20MB flash card the serial downloading times were just
>horrendous... but using one of those adapters (which, for the adapter,
>an AC adapter for the camera, an 8mb flash card, and a carrying case
>cost me 69 bucks at Staples) it takes mere seconds to transport
>anything. I also found it handy for transporting files, as most systems
>tend to just see it as a device with a file system on it (admittedly,
>under windows. hard to avoid in the workplace sometimes.)
	Never used them myself, but my friend Rob Seastrom is using one
with his Mac PowerBook and seems very pleased with it. See his comments
at www.seastrom.com/travel.

Kevin Trainor
Wells Fargo Customer Accounting

"Well if money talks, why won't it speak to me?"
     -Jason and the Scorchers

...all opinions my own, not WF's.