Compaq NIC Woes

Great the sun all,

I installed RH6.1 on a Compaq ProSignia 300 with no problem.  Recognized
both the embedded SCSI and Ethernet.  The line shows active on my little
5-port hub.  I do an ifconfig and things look correct. However, I try a
ping and about a hundred lines of cryptic numbers flash by and I get a
kernel panic.  The box locks up and I have to perform a hard reboot.  I
have always been wary of the embedded Compaq stuff (many woes with
Compaq servers and MS NT). I am kinda clueless here, disable the
embedded NIC and get one I know works under Linux?

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is
no woman around to hear him... is he still wrong?
- George Carlin