RE: [TCLUG:10692] StarOffice

	For $2000 I would get a freakin' alpha.  How about $800?

> But there is always Lyx, anyway.
>

> > 	'modern, more powerful' Star Office
> > 	are those your words... I think.  Are you quoting someone?
>
> I was paraphrasing Brent.
>

> > > StarOffice is a step backward, plain and simple.
> > >
> > 	I am not defending the fact that SO is big.  However, to make such a
> > carte blance statement seems a bit, well, silly.
> >
> > 	Considering:
> > 	* It reads/writes Word 95/97 documents.  You personally may not need
> > this, but thousands of people do.  It saves them the pain of purchasing
> > separate copies of software for home so that they can simply bring
> documents
> > that they inherit/receive and open them retaining most all of the
> > formatting.
>
> A person who 1) needs to use MS Word format and 2) doesn't mind using
> proprietary software (like StarOffice is) would be happier running
> Windows with Word. It's faster than Star Office, and there's no need to
> convert formats back and forth.

	Then they are spending about $450 more with this solution.  OK, now
your $2000 computer assertion is now starting to make sense.

> > 	* It is $0.  This alone is another big deal.  PageMaker sure as hell
> > is not free.
>
> No, but TeX and Lyx are both gratis and free.

	Yes but the investment of sweat equity in the software only makes it
libre (free).  Like I said, there are 10^3 of people who do not
care.....yet.  To have them care you have to whet their appetite, and wean
them off of the M$ heroin software.  Most people can't go cold turkey.

> > 	* It runs on Linux- OS/2 - Sun - Win9x.  So, if you have Winders
> > user, you may be able to move to Linux more easily.  So, as an
> evalgelical
> > tool, this is huge!
>
> Resaons to use Linux:
>
> 1. free
> 2. gratis
> 3. efficient

	4 have a shitload of time to learn stuff, without having your spouse
saying stuff like.  Hey, take out the trash.  Hey listen to me, I have
something to tell you (and have 2 hours evapotate.....)

> StarOffice offers only (2), the least important. I would never advocate
> that people migrate to Linux 'just because' -- the reasons to do it are
> (1), (3), and (1). StarOffice negates these reasons.

	If a person uses SO on Windows, and then Linux is suggested as part
of a dual boot system.  The user has a situation where the same basic apps
are on both partitions.  Ironically though, the user may discover that Linux
doesn't give GPFs or DLL barf messages.  "Wow, I thought all computers did
that....I guess not."  the user exclaims.

	The whole point is that you wouldn't have to advocate linux.   The
next time their computer dlls kicks itself in the nads one too many times.
They may consider Linux.
	Then after discovering Linux, they discover that they no longer have
to do it.."The Microsoft way."... Enlightenment happens (well maybe not the
WM)

> > So, to say it is a step backward ignores it's attributes, in spite
> > of it's shortcomings in speed.
>
> I don't see that it has any benefits over either proprietary solutions or
> free solutions.

	Maybe not for you personally.  For the users who have no idea about
admin tasks, and are not yet in a position to do so.  These people simply do
not care.  Telling them that Linux is fast and free is simply not a good
enough reason for regular folks to care.  It has to do something for them
now.

	Believe me, I've tried to advocate Linux on it's simple performance
merits....it always falls on dead ears.

	Mark