Re: [TCLUG:10789] IRC general question

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Brian J. Ackermann wrote:

> Well, it certainly seems that I will not be able to connect to any of the
> larger #linux channels out there, since all of them seem to rely on ident to
> guarantee the client, and I presently seem unable to get any kind of ident
> working(though I check and uncheck ident enable checkboxen all over the
> place :)  ).
>
> The kind of logic I'm getting out of the little I presently know about the
> problem is that I need to be using linux to run identd, which will in turn
> allow me to connect to the various hosts and channels out there, #linux
> included.  What to do...
>
> It is suggested that I try other servers.  Sounds good, but at every
> one(that I tried) I got kicked out at login, because I don't have an ident.
>
> So, now what....start up my own IRC host and hope people come to mine?
> Doesn't really sound like a good solution...
>
> The part about this that is interesting is that what I really want is just
> to have a solution.  I'm not even so interested in getting onto IRC, as I am
> in being ABLE to do so.  Subtle difference, but thats just how I am.  I'd
> like to have another resource available to use, and the fact that this one
> is out of reach just bugs me...there must be a solution....If I just think a
> little harder...
>
> Brian J.

If you're directly connected to the internet, just turn identd on in mIRC,
anda connect to irc.lightning.net (usually the most leniant server.) If
you're behind a firewall, you need to enable identd spoofing on the
firewall. (For a Linux box, just install pidentd, I believe..)

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700