Variation on Previous NIC woes

Greet the sun all,

I abandoned my efforts to get the embedded NIC card working in my Compaq
ProSignia 300.  I purchased a LinkSys 10/100 and installed it.  However,
now my problem is this.

In my conf.modules file, I have two entries:

eth0: pcnet32
eth1: unknown

I guess what I am asking is how should I go getting the box to recognize
the tulip module without completly trashing things.  I specified tulip
in eth1 but when I ifconfig, I still have only one eth0 and it points to
the bad NIC.  When I boot, it just states eth0 in the list which is the
disabled onboard NIC.  How does Linux associate eth0 with a specific
network card, especially if there are two NICs.  Do I have to recompile
the kernel?  I don't want enable two NICs, just the one I want in the
eth0 position.  I searched the archives on multiple NICs but the threads
(more fun with multiple nics) were more on how to enable two NICs.

--

Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.