RE: [TCLUG:10875] Variation on Previous NIC woes

> In my conf.modules file, I have two entries:
>
> eth0: pcnet32
> eth1: unknown
>
> I guess what I am asking is how should I go getting the box to recognize
> the tulip module without completely trashing things.

The Red Hat 6.1 way: delete both entries in /etc/conf.modules and re-run
kudzu which should only detect and configure your working, enabled card.
Then use netcfg or linuxconf to set your IP address, gateway, etc.
Apologies if you already tried this.

The Rest of the World way: delete the eth1 entry, and change the eth0 entry
to tulip (or whatever is the right module for this card).  Either reboot or
run "rmmod pcnet32.o; insmod tulip.o" to deactivate the old module and
activate the new module.  Use ifconfig and edit /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolv.conf to set up your IP stuff.

The net result should be one working NIC, which is what I gather you want.

Hope this helps.  Couldn't test this one before posting so please let us
know how it goes.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator