Re: [TCLUG:10915] Asking the Impossible?

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Jonathan Kline wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to have a virtual console on one
> computer act like a telnet session on another computer?  Or map virtual
> console from one pc to another?
> 	So instead of alt F8 going to localhost, it would go to another
> computer on the local network?

The cheap hack I devised with my dumb terminals (old 386s and such) was to
create a user "telnet" whose login shell was /sbin/telnet-hostname, which
was a shell script that was basically:

exec telnet hostname

I couldn't find an easier way, but then I didn't really look very hard. ;p

Kevin R. Bullock                                _
Ringworld.Associates (http://www.ringworld.org/) \_ The two are only connected
St. John's University, Collegeville, MN         _/  by my presence in each.

--- please use the first e-mail address ----
| kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet |
| krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet  |
----- bitte die erste e-mail benutzen ------

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.
		-- F. Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month"

Whenever one person is found adequate to the discharge of a duty by
close application thereto, it is worse execute by two persons and
scarcely done at all if three or more are employed therein.
		-- George Washington, 1732-1799