Re: [TCLUG:10915] Asking the Impossible?

  Hi,

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Jonathan Kline wrote:

> > Does anyone know if it is possible to have a virtual console on one
> > computer act like a telnet session on another computer?  Or map virtual
> > console from one pc to another?
> > 	So instead of alt F8 going to localhost, it would go to another
> > computer on the local network?

Sure. Look for the virtual console lines in /etc/inittab. They look
something like this:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
..
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

Should have 6 of them by default. To make F7 always telnet into another
machine, add:

7:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/telnet ip_addr_or_hostname

Then either reboot, or type 'init q'.

Alt-F7 will then always be a telnet to wherever you said. When/if the
telnet session dies, it'll respawn.

I just tested it and it works rather nicely - especially if you can get
away with a passwordless ssh connection. Then I made Alt-F7 always run
Lynx.

-Yaron