Re: [TCLUG:10915] Asking the Impossible?

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Yaron wrote on changing init levels:

...[snip directions on editing /etc/inittab]...
> Then either reboot, or type 'init q'.

I was always under the impression that by typing init <option> directly
would have no effect to the computer's init level.  As I understood it,
the command 'telinit' is more appropriate (tell init).  I guess I was
under the assumption that init <option> did nothing.  I shall have to
try it, but in the mean time, here's a snippit from the man pages:

	Init can be in one of eight runlevels: 0-6 and S or s.  The
	runlevel is changed by  having  a  privileged  user  run
	telinit, which sends appropriate signals to init, telling it
	which runlevel  to change to.

Anyway...  Just to let you know some other useful applications of the
init levels.  Let's say you've installed apache on your server, but you
have also installed the ssl-ified version for a test-drive.  You can set
up your init levels so that you use the original apache at level 2, but
you use the apache-ssl at level 3.  Or let's say you want to run
apache / php / mysql at level 4, but you want to try apache / php /
postgresql at level 5.  Init levels give you a lot of flexibility as to
what you can do for your computer configuration...  Go ahead, play with
it. ;-)

^chewie