Re: [TCLUG:10916] Solaris and Linux NFS hate each other!

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 03:46:39PM -0600, Troy Johnson wrote:

> Sorry, no ideas, just another question: Why would an export work with
> hostnames and not IP addresses?  While the documentation says both
> should work just fine, I know there can be some differences between
> what the docs say and what actually happens, I just don't want to
> assume it is so.  Could I be doing something terribly wrong here?  I
> would expect IP addresses would work and hostnames wouldn't if
> hostname resolution had a kink in it, but I have the opposite.  :-/

	I think this has something to do with the fact the NFS has the
tendency to use hostnames for access verification.  Where I used to work
we had the problem that if the reverse IP mapping for a hostname didn't
precisely match the NIS hostname, NFS would refuse to work.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature